Monday, September 26, 2011

Recipe: My Chai





Nothing signifies Fall more to me than when I start making homemade Chai...and every time Fall rolls around, nothing makes me happier than getting out the ingredients to whip a batch.   I have been making chai for a long, long time...like since college-long-time--long before Chai Tea Lattes were all the rage and I am pretty sure even before it came in a box.  In fact, the first time I had chai was in college and a friend actually made me a cup.  It was love at first sip: I loved the sweet, spicy warmth--it was such a welcome change from coffee and I was instantly hooked by all the exotic flavors.  I figured out, more or less, how to make it and have been making at home ever since.  


Here's how I make mine...







Gather your ingredients....this recipe serves 2 generously.

4 black tea bags
10 slightly crushed cardamom pods
5 whole cloves
2-inch piece of ginger, peeled and split into 6 pieces
2 cinnamon sticks
2-3 whole black pepper corns
1/3 cup brown sugar







In a pot, combine 3 cups water with cardamom pods, cloves, ginger, pepper.
Bring to boil, simmer for 15 minutes--it will become very aromatic and smell delicious.
Turn off heat, add tea bags & cover; let steep for 3 minutes.







Strain tea thru a sieve and return to pot--add brown sugar, stir till disolved...set aside.  In separate pot, heat 1 1/2 cups of milk over medium high heat for 3 minutes; but don't let boil.  
When hot, add milk to tea.  
Serve in mugs with more brown sugar or honey on side if desired.



This is the perfect drink to sip on a Fall weekend day, while its raining outside or when its quiet because everyone is laying around reading or doing some quiet play...enjoy it because this never lasts too long!





1 comment:

  1. Completely new idea to making a tea... I would like to make that type of tea for me...

    ReplyDelete