Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Craft: Green Carnations

happy st. patrick's day!

Here's a little something to ensure you do not get pinched on St. Patrick's Day.
A sweet little paper carnation boutonniere with green trimmings...
totally inspired by Family Chic!   Feels very lucky!

This is my kind of craft--easy, all the supplies were on hand and super cute...not to mention functional--in terms of not getting pinched...

supplies you'll need:

muffin/cupcake paper liners/cups
floral tape or ribbon & hot glue gun
water colors (specifically green)
pin backs or a safety pin or a straight pin


fold a bunch (4 or 5 or more or less) of liners in half and then in half again...
and then in half again; play with it so you get it narrowed down. 
twist and scrunch the bottom half so that you create a "stem" 
(don't worry about the wrinkles or scrunching them too much; 
they will be fine and will add character!)

tape or glue stem 1/2 way up from bottom. Let dry.

pull petals apart and shape into flower.

paint edges with green water color.  the muffin wrappers I used seem to have a bit of a coating on them; they weren't straight paper, so that's why I got the look I did.  It didn't become a solid green but I think it works....let it dry.

add a little bow and either hot glue a pin back to the back of the stem or use a safety pin or a (careful) straight pin.  Attach to the lapel of your favorite wee leprechaun.

Eat some potatoes & cabbage, drink whiskey, dance a jig, and enjoy your good luck!


  1. Hi there! I love this's so darling...and I was hoping that you might add it to my Easter and Spring Linking Party to share with my readers. If you are interested, you can go here to enter. Thanks!

  2. wow thats a great idea and I have all these supplies!!! super, thanks! :)